Some highlights of the Orban-Salvini press conference in Budapest.
Courtesy of Mariann Ory at Twitter (excellent tweets):
* Orban: “I want to cooperate with strong and ambitious parties, I am happy that there are new forces who actually want to do something instead of repeating the same euroblabla of the Brussels bubble.”
* Orban: “We will openly and visibly seek cooperation with Matteo Salvini. Cooperation with Italy’s strongest governing party is an honour for us. We should value Italy’s friendship.”
* Salvini says they agreed with Orban that Italy and Hungary will support each other in connection with EU procedures against the countries.
* Orban: “We agree with Matteo Salvini that we need strong nation states for a strong Europe; Christian culture first; Europe’s borders should be protected from migrant invasion.”
More from Nótin Tamás at Twitter:
* Salvini: “If the left continues to govern, Europe will turn into an Islam caliphate. I don’t want to leave this to the future generations and I will do everything democratically possible to prevent this.” Orban says the EPP should follow Salvini’s ideas.
* Salvini: “The policy of open borders turned the Mediterranean Sea into a mass grave, but our policy with Orban is that borders must be protected and we only let in those who are really fleeing war and not those who want to bring war here.”
* Orban: “I think that the EPP should cooperate with anti-immigration parties. If the EPP will bind itself to the pro-immigration left side, it will be hard for us to find our place in this alliance.”
* PM Viktor Orban says at their joint press conference in Budapest that Salvini’s success in stopping illegal migration on the sea is Hungary’s national interest too.
One more thought to add from the V4 Report: Salvini’s success in stopping illegal migration on the sea is in the best interests for ALL of Europe… therefore, even outside of Italy, it is vital to reject those candidates who attack Salvini, such as Guy Verhofstadt and his ALDE Party groupies (just one noxious example).