Greece: Protests intensify as Greeks demand ‘We want our island back…We want the life back that we had before.’
– More than 9,000 people have followed a summons by the local governor and have come from all over Lesbos to Mytilini to protest against the Greek government’s migration policy. It’s the biggest protest in the island’s history. The road around the little harbor is packed with people of all ages. They’re joining forces to make their voices heard and do something about the situation on their Aegean island, which for them has become unbearable.
A young woman who operates the village salon said that it had been broken into twice, “We don’t feel safe here. No one is protecting us. When I leave my salon, I’m afraid,” she says.
She has two daughters. She says she has sympathy for families in the camp, but life here just isn’t worth living for her family any more. “If this carries on for years, we can’t stay here. We’ll have to leave the village in order to live our lives. But why am I the one who has to go? That’s just not fair.”
Meanwhile, a survey by the diaNEOsis nonprofit think tank shows that most Greeks believe migrants and refugees have a negative impact on the country.
– 85.2 percent of respondents said that the number of immigrants in Greece is “very or too high.”
– 79 percent disagreed with the statement that migrants are a solution to the country’s demographic problem.
– 58 percent said that their presence is a “threat to our national identity.”
* At some point, people will only take so much. The EU has not only failed to protect Europe and its borders, but some of its schemes actually encourage and lure more migrants from all over.
Europe’s problems do not reside in Hungary or Poland, but in the halls of Brussels, which promotes a different ‘way of life’ – one crafted and promoted by unaccountable, international philanthropists and open-border organizations which seek to commit the EU to mass migration.
The EU has become too big to reform; it is now “occupied territory”. Eurocrats are not willing to relinquish their ideology, power or status. Change will have to occur outside the Union.