August 4, 2017,
* Italy and Libya : Libyan military “warlord” threatens Italian ships trying to stop the flow of migrants from Libya to Italy.
– General Khalifa Haftar, who controls most of eastern Libya, threatened to use his own forces to repel the Italian Navy if they came into Libyan sovereign waters. However, it is most likely the General is looking for some type of political payoff as his forces are highly unlikely to open fire on the Italians and risk a confrontation with a major European country.
– General Haftar, described as a Libyan “strongman”, held a senior position in the forces which overthrew Gaddafi in the 2011 Libyan Civil War. The V4 Report believes the “regime change” doctrine and intervention in Libya was an utter disaster perpetrated by US neocons, Barack Obama and the powers of Western Europe. We believe the “blowback” will be felt for decades.
– Today, Libya is allowing the criminal smuggling syndicate – operating freely in their territory – to destabilize Italy and Europe. The Italians must do what they have to do to protect themselves by tackling the problem at the source, which is Libya. The foolish intervention in Libya was a colossal mistake, but it is no excuse for allowing “warlords and gangs” to hold Europe hostage to the actions of human smugglers operating in their territory.
– We do not believe armed conflict would benefit either party, and this should be avoided, but Italy must be prepared to defend themselves and their coast. General Haftar is actually a US citizen and has been dealt with before. Behind closed doors, Haftar should be firmly informed of the harsh consequences that will follow if his mercenaries decide to engage with the Italian Navy. The weak apologies from Roberta Pinotti, the Italian defence minister, are unhelpful, counterproductive and only adds fuel to those who seek to derail the operation.
– Bottom line: Italy and Europe must not tolerate allowing Libya to be used as a “launching pad” for migrants worldwide to enter Europe. This is a violation of their “sovereignty”.
The smugglers, NGOs and Islamic extremists view the leaders of Brussels and Western Europe as weak and feeble, and they will continue to abuse the EU until they find the courage to push back. Italy certainly has the tools to stop this, but do their leaders have the will to “rise from their knees”?
We shall find out soon.